From the pyramid design of Leonardo da Vinci in the 15th century The supersonic version that helped secure the rover firmly on Mars, the parachute, a device that captures the air to control the motion of an object, has played an essential role in land, air, water, and space travel . For all the technology and resources that go into launching a spacecraft from the Earth’s atmosphere, it is the simple parachute that is critical to land it safely. The parachute canopy creates drag or air resistance, meaning that the air below is pushed downstream of the canopy and slows down the descent rate.
Now it’s your turn to create a parachute using newspaper and tape. Some suggestions: be prepared to make adjustments. Try to vary the canopy size and the weight of the basket to see how those adjustments affect the rate at which the parachute falls. Hang the basket freely so that it can center itself. Open the canopy as much as possible before releasing, and use the lifting rod to lift your parachute as high as possible from your head. Pull the stick out, stand back and see the fundamental concept of drag at work.
1. Use a whole double-spread sheet of newspaper and fold it in half and then in half.
2. Fold the top left corner diagonally and complete the bottom fold.
3. Cut off the remaining bandage and untie all the pieces.
४. Fold and unfold the sheet so that all the creases rise slightly.
5. Tape a strip to each lower corner of your sheet, separating them, then tape them to the top corners.
6. Tape the strips together where they cross.
7. Finished canopy.
1. Use another full-spread sheet of newspaper. Fold it into quarters and then unfold.
2. Cut a quarter of the page with crease lines.
3. Fold the quarter from the half edge to the smaller edge.
4. Keep the tape sticky side up With short edges.
5. Loosely roll, secure with tape.
6. Level the base of the cylinder; Tape the layers together.
7. Ready basket.
1. Cut a strip about one inch wide along the short edge of the remaining sheet.
2. Fold in half along the existing crease
3. Finished Basket Handle
1. Slide the basket handle under the crossed strips.
2. Place the basket upside down in the center.
3. Curve Strip the handle, and tape it to the sides of the basket.
4. Similar to inverted parachute with basket.
1. Use another double-page sheet of newspaper. fold in half.
2. Place strips of tape along the long open edge of the newspaper.
3. Start at the folded edge, roll the tape tightly.
4. Close the tube with tape.
1. Open the canopy, place the lifting rod in the center. Raise it as high as you can.
2. Quickly, pull the retracting stick away from the canopy to release it.