Trump administration officials passed when Pfizer offered to sell more doses of the vaccine to the US months ago.

Before Pfizer’s coronovirus vaccine proved highly successful in clinical trials last month, the company offered the Trump administration a chance to lock in more than 100 million supplies, which the drugmaker government announced months of a $ 1.95 deal As the government had agreed to sell.

But the administration, according to people familiar with the negotiations, never reached the deal, an option that now raises questions about whether the US allowed other countries to take its place.

As the administration tries to buy more doses of the vaccine, President Trump plans to issue an executive order on Tuesday that declares that other countries will not receive US supplies of their vaccines until the Americans are vaccinated. Has not been imposed.

But the order has no real teeth and according to the order details on Monday by US administrative officials, the US supply of the dose has not been expanded.

The vaccine produced by Pfizer and its German partner BioNotech is a two-dose treatment, meaning that 100 million doses is enough to vaccinate only 50 million Americans. The vaccine is expected to receive authorization for emergency use in the US, as later this week, another vaccine, developed by Modern, will also be approved for emergency use soon.

Britain plans to launch a vaccination campaign using the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine on Tuesday, making it the first Western country to introduce mass vaccination.

On 11 November – two days after Pfizer announced the first preliminary results that its vaccine was more than 90 percent effective – the European Union announced that it had finalized a supply deal with Pfizer and BioNotech for 200 million doses They had started negotiations in a deal months ago. Shipment can begin by the end of the year, and the contract includes 100 million more dosage options.

Asked if the Trump administration missed a significant opportunity for Americans to take higher doses, a spokesman for the Department of Health and Human Services said, “We believe our contract agreed to 100 million of Pfizer vaccines The dose will be with us. , And beyond, we have five other vaccine candidates. “

The government gave the option of requesting an additional dose of 100 million to 500 million in July. According to many people familiar with the discussion, despite repeated warnings by Pfizer officials that supply could be halted due to high demand, the Trump administration turned down the proposal.

In a statement, Pfizer said that “any additional doses beyond 100 million are subject to a separate and mutually acceptable agreement,” and added that “the company is able to comment on any confidential discussions with the US government Is not. “

The bulk of the global supply of vaccines has already been claimed by wealthy countries such as the United States, Canada, Britain and countries in Europe, leading to criticism that people in low and middle income countries will lag behind. The United States has refused to participate in a global initiative called Kovacs, which aims to make the vaccine available globally.

Decision to issue executive order Previously reported by Fox News.

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *